THE DEMOCRATIC DISABILITY CAUCUS OF FLORIDA SUPPORTS SB 642 & HB 935
“Florida Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act”
_ Creates the Florida Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) program, which would assist individuals with disabilities in saving money without losing their eligibility for state and federal benefits.
– Provides a pathway for economic independence and a better quality of life.
– ABLE accounts resemble the federal 529 – college saving plans (tax advantaged savings accounts).
– Program was created by the Federal ABLE Act of 2014.
– The Florida ABLE program would facilitate the ability of individuals with disabilities to work and live independently without losing access to Medicaid & SSI.
– Linked to SB644/HB937 and SB646/HB939, which establishes records keeping and administrative infrastructure.
Attached is the ARC Overview